Saturday 3 May 2014

Tis spring; come out to ramble...

May... my favourite month of all... when all is green at last, blossom garlands the hedgerows, warblers sing with nightingales and foxes bark... the drone of insects fills the air around the newly flowering plants... all is alive... as I have said before... I love the spring... and an English spring at that...

The world has been a busy place this past week... we are house hunting (stressful in itself) and hoping to shoot some spring nature whilst driving around the countryside of the Fens... The weather hasn't been that kind... showers and a capricious breeze makes my type of photography tricky to say the least... but I have managed a few shots...

We started off the week with a family day out to Anglesey Abbey - a National Trust place not far from home... great gardens - perfect for my sort of shooting; reminds me of another NT property I used to frequent many years ago in Somerset - Stourhead... I get the feeling I will be returning...




above and below... Mahonia... autumnal colours in spring... a great photographers' plant!!




new pine cones forming... I was taken with the shapes and colours... who thinks pine trees are just green?








a well known shot of aspens by Ansel Adams is the inspiration for these birch trees... great, stark whiteness...I will be going back here...




Reeves pheasant - male - the extraordinary plumage of male pheasants are always an eyeopener...

BUT... as well as the non natives...



herb Robert (Geranium robertianum) a common plant of woodlands and hedgerows - I am always drawn to our native geraniums - the stork and crane's bills...



moorhen's next... great placement and balance...

Well, after that lovely find... I came down to earth and wandered around my garden...



accompanied by Quinn as usual!!!


...a solitary bee - covered with pollen...



nettle-tap moth; common on nettle leaves...




bluebottle (Calliphora vomitoria) - we may associate them with rotting food and dirt, but the colour is amazing... look at that blue...




long-jawed orb spider...

I was so taken with these... I then looked at the plants...



garden columbine...




garden geranium... just great colour...




The damp, chilly weather kept me inside for a day or so; feeling the need to shoot, I went out between showers... and sheltering in the tall vegetation I found...



a masonry bee...




greenbottle (Lucilia caesar) - as with the bluebottle above... the colour is just stunning...




green-veined white butterfly (Pieris napi)... and I also found this...



now this shot isn't technically very good, and the the composition could be better (normally shots like this are deleted) but here I just was taken with the colours of the 2-spot ladybird and the green alkanet flower...

So the weekend approaches and house hunting awaits... I may get out on the fen sometime (sure hope so) - keep up with me HERE or HERE and I hope to see you all next week...

hope you like the pictures...

TTFN...







No comments:

Post a Comment