Sunday 1 June 2014

Folks tell me that the May's in flower

Is summer finally here? Well, it was wet enough during the past week to give it a distinctly summery feel...Photographic opportunities? Limited... Results of those opportunities? I'll let you guys be the judge... Some I am happy with; others...the jury is out...

Apart from a couple of Insurance shoots and a booking for next week to shoot some staff portraits the week has been mainly house hunting and trying to stay dry...It has been half term, so days out and a trip to Stratford upon Avon have been the main stay of the week.

Monday was actually a good day weather-wise and I managed an hour or so out on the fen, looking for dragonflies...









A selection of damselflies... azure, blue-tailed and red-eyed... all lovely to see...








Bramble sawfly, cardinal beetle and may-fly...I do love chasing invertebrates in the spring sun...

The following day I escaped to the Fen again and found some lovely wild orchids - common-spotted and possibly some hybrids...










The weather then took a turn for the worse and all I managed was a brief trip to the garden for about 10 minutes or so...





a couple of studies of curled dock... a common plant I know, but it has its beauty...

We then had a trip to Stratford upon Avon and I got to wander around with my camera for a bit... I went to the butterfly house and managed a couple of reasonable shots amongst the other visitors (you can see why some people have season tickets to these places...)






BUT, moving away from the Natural History I was tempted with some black and whites around the town... just for a change...










The graveyard shots were given the infra-red treatment in Lightroom - just to give a ghostly feel... I saw that effect in my head when I took the original shot and am happy with the way they came out...especially the first one of the two.

A final trip to the fen today yielded some more wildlife shots for my portfolio - the pick of them being...










From top to bottom - black knapweed, orchid beetle, tendril from wild hop and scarlet pimpernel...

Of course one of the few televisual highlights of the week has been the new series of Springwatch - great to see licence fee money being spent on something worthwhile - get the Great British Public interested in wildlife and maybe developers will not find it so easy to build.. don't upset the robin strokers - if only people wouldn't see Natural History as something akin to Beatrix Potter or similar. They get so upset when  a "...ikkle baby wabbit" gets eaten by a magpie but feel nothing for a moth in the beak of a nightingale. Oddly enough no one seems to care when a rabbit is eaten by an eagle... just if it is by a member of the corvid family... We are a funny race...roll on nature... red in tooth and claw and well done the BBC team for standing by their policy of no interference...

Daily updates are found HERE and of course HERE... and here is a final shot from the riverside in Stratford..



TTFN...









No comments:

Post a Comment