Sunday 21 September 2014

No need for anger; no need for blame...

Well you won't get me I'm part of the Union... yep a week is a long time in politics - this time last week there was a great chance that Scotland would vote to leave the United Kingdom and break off on their own as an independent nation...unfortunately when it came down to it the scaremongers in Westminster managed to put the frighteners on enough people to win the day...does this mean every election from now on will be fought using fear and threats (I mean more than it is now) rather than positives...I wonder why they don't try saying "...vote for us because we will be good for the country..." rather than "vote for us because the other lot will be bad for the country" just a thought...

As for photography it has been another frustrating week and mainly due to the weather...as autumn approaches the countryside changes...plants enter senescence, invertebrates start to vanish, fungi appears and all that...and as a wildlife photographer I look to record these things. However, the unseasonal warmth had held the plants back and restricted the growth of fungi (at least around Ely). There are still butterflies about of course but I have photographed many this year and repeating shots already taken is a waste of time and pixels...so I wait for some cool weather...early morning dew...chilly weather...let's see some fungi coming through the lawn and populating dead wood...I want to see slime molds...and most of all colourful foliage...

What I have managed to shoot this week includes...




chicory...such a lovely colour...




bracket fungi...




snail...off to look for some food no doubt...




speckled wood butterfly - enjoying the late summer sun...




The first dewy spider's web...they do make great pictures don't they...although one does tend to look very much like another...

I have been practicing various techniques in Lightroom this week - mainly black and white conversions...this next selection will be unpopular with my mother as she likes the world to be in colour (I suppose that's a result of living through the 1950's where everything was in monochrome!) but that aside...here are a selection of monochrome landscapes created this week from older images from my library...




Malham, North Yorkshire.




Morris dancer...





Scottish croft, Kinlochbervie...




glowering skies - North-West Scotland...




seascape...





Staithes, North Yorkshire...





Staithes...




Staithes again...

I'm pleased with the conversions of these images, particularly the ones of Staithes - I feel the view lends itself to monochrome...Lightroom is so good for this sort of work; it just takes a little time...

And now the equinox is upon us...for all you sun worshipers out there that means that it's influence is starting to diminish; nights will be drawing in and maybe, just maybe we will get some seasonal weather. Now don't get me wrong I love the long summer nights, warm, balmy days and all that...BUT I also like the winter...in fact I like all the seasons - let's have some mists, frosts, gales now and then some snow in a few months time...then we appreciate the vernal equinox even more and all that that promises...

To finish this week...here are a couple of autumnal images to welcome the Equinox...









I hope you all have a good week...you can keep up with me here as always... or failing that here on Flickr...

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment