Friday 8 March 2013

... But not shooting...

Well the week started with a positive response to the new blog layout - thanks to all those who took their time to mail me their views - much appreciated. With that out of the way and settled, at least for the short term, my mind started to wander onto forthcoming shoots and potential images. I seem to think of nothing else these days...

I have a dance recital shoot this Saturday afternoon in Dubai, so have been scouring the internet for inspiration; no doubt the results will appear here... https://www.facebook.com/AlexJPScottPhotography so stay tuned for those... I also have a school brochure shoot starting tomorrow. This lead me to thinking of some shots I took back in York...like this...


or this...
or this...

Could be the way to go, so stay tuned for the results of that shoot also...

In addition Tutorials have been busy this week - two on Tuesday, one on Wednesday and one on Friday. Fortunately my pupils are enthusiastic and have potential so the teaching bit is enjoyable.  It is also great to see the results of previous lessons and my Tuesday morning pupil is showing great promise...nice one madam!

BUT, with all this planning, researching and teaching what have I been shooting this week? Friday yielded little, but on Saturday I enjoyed wandering around the Qasr al Hosn Festival in Abu Dhabi - some good opportunities, many of which have been on my Face Book page. However, for those of you who don't do social media (come on get with the times guys...) here are a few shots from that event...





The last one is my current favourite environmental portrait, taken with a Nikon D2Xs + Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AFD lens with a touch of fill flash from a Nikon SB-600 speedlight. Nice range of tones and sharp through the image.

My usual morning regime involves a wander around the island on which our apartment block is situated. The light varies from amazing to WAYYYYY TOOOOO BRIGHT!!!!! so photo opportunities are limited to getting out at the right time. This week I struck lucky with this...


The unscripted girl gives scale to the image and the calmness of the water is enhanced by her serenity and tranquility. Nikon D2Xs + Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AFD.

But really what this blog is about is that up until Tuesday, I haven't shot much at all - indeed the title says it all. I read about photography, assess images, plan forthcoming shoots, try to previsialise images for the school brochure, the dance recital etc. but shoot little. That will change of course on Wednesday and Thursday but the main crux is that being a working freelance involves days of not shooting, just planning shoots...

All my thinking has got my brain whirring  and what I need to do is find my style - really find my style. Viewers of my FB page will be familiar with the variety of images I post - I need to decide on a style and shoot like that... From looking at my own personal shots it seems that Photojournalism is my style... Am I right in that? Let me know what you think...

Interestingly tomorrow will be the first time I have worked on my birthday for a while, this also got me thinking about other days I have worked - the most enjoyable was believe it or not putting up a rabbit fence around the plantation at Gibraltar Point National Nature Reserve, Lincolnshire, UK in 1996 - so that would have been my 31st birthday. It was a lovely sunny early spring day and I was helping the Assistant Warden to put this fence up. A whole day in good company, on my favourite Nature Reserve...


First day of the shoot seemed to go OK - mountains of pictures to be post processed now... and some more to shoot tomorrow... it never stops...but we do it for the love of it!

And the weekend finally arrives... school brochure shoot is mid way through and the shots are looking OK... my personal favourite at the moment is...


The story of this shoot and more besides will be the subject of next weeks blog so stay tuned for that...

Hope to see you there, keep up to date by clicking here... Alex JP Scott Photography and I hope you all have a good week...

TTFN...

No comments:

Post a Comment