Thursday 21 March 2013

...the wells of inspiration...

Well,the week didn't start too well and I had not taken many pictures at all until a trip to the Sheikh Zayed Grand Mosque on Wednesday. The reason for this trip was to try and get some inspiration for a forthcoming Photography Competition. Subject - "Arts & Aesthetics of Architecture in Abu Dhabi" Locations - the mosque and the Emirates Palace Hotel.  Prizes are very generous so I thought I would have a bash... The Wednesday trip was to have a good scout round and look for locations etc - pictures taken won't be the final ones, I just needed some inspiration... Did I get some? Well I will post a few here. and you can let me know if you want...

Just a few...





I think the images are "pretty" enough but maybe not strong enough to win a competition - especially when the subject is photographed to death every day and lends itself to photography. Closing date is middle of May so I have plenty of time to shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.  

Whilst working around the mosque, I was tempted to capture some tourists in my usual photo-journalist style...



My usual tutorial was postponed this week which gave me a free day. Actually they are really enjoyable, so I missed the chance to talk photography for 2 hours or so whilst sitting in my favourite Arabian Cafe... never mind... there is always next week.

Well, whilst shooting at the mosque, I received an email with another booking - for Wednesday night, to cover a school play in Abu Dhabi... These sort of occasions are always fun to shoot; the children love to perform and everyone is having a good time... If they manage to get the lighting right then some rewarding images are available...


Not to mention some interesting but not too surprising candid moments...


Of course the downside of shooting this sort of event is that you now have several hundred images to sift through, pick the best and then edit. Some people really resent this part of photography, but it is just part of the process - the image straight out of the camera is only 50% complete, post processing is and always has been in integral part of creating a picture. Finding the finished image is part of the skill in photography...sorting out the crop and then deciding the changes is fun... just tiring!! :)

The results can be rewarding though..




Oh I nearly forgot - can you guess which play they were putting on? Here is a clue...




So we come to the end of the week - next week welcomes a mate for a few days, so maybe some interesting UAE images for the next blog and I do have a shoot in Dubai and Sharjah next Tuesday which should be fun.

Hope you all have a good week and I shall leave you with one of my own personal favourites from the morning spent at the Mosque...


Hope to see you all next week... check out my Face Book page - here...Alex JP Scott Photography and if you haven't already done so, give a LIKE should you feel so inclined...

TTFN





No comments:

Post a Comment