Friday 19 April 2013

...beware the competition...

An interesting week - the weather is turning so soon it will just too darn hot to venture out during the day - maybe some clever heat shield is in order, but day time temps are now pushing 40C and soon will be dragging it behind... Drive to a shoot, take the camera out of the air conditioned car and wham, it gets all misty...

So, tutorial on Tuesday - some great shots from the young lady - when she finally decides to shout to the world that she wants to shoot professionally I shall shout her name so you all look out for her...

With my wife away on business I was able to start thinking about the Sheikh Zayed Mosque Photo Competition again - still not sure what I'm shooting - had some ideas; took some images... started to think...

HOLD IT!!! before I could do any of that, I was asked to go into a school and shoot some images of some Design Technology Projects for submission to an external examiner... this sort of thing...

 A cloth book made for babies...

It wasn't until I was half way through the shoot that I was told they needed the images that afternoon... so a race back to the apartment, download, pp, email...(whilst looking after Quinn after school...)

So once, that was done, I could THEN concentrate on the Mosque Photography Competition...









The real problem, is that I haven't yet decided on a suitable approach yet - or more accurately - "How am I going to shoot this?" And that is the real key... If you check online there are literally thousands of images of the Mosque some beautiful, some awful but the point is to have a chance of winning the competition I have to come up with shots that are DIFFERENT - and at the moment my shots just ain't different enough... you have seen some - here are a few more...



These taken this week are great as they stand - sharp, well exposed and as I was working there before the place officially opened, devoid of tourists. (I love the soft light on the top one... another advantage of shooting early morning).

 My problem is that they look like countless others...























So a new approach is needed - shots that look different... now the next image has potential...

simply because a friend said - "...it is obviously the Mosque, but it is different to others that you see." Now that had me thinking - is this the way to go - candids of tourists but obviously in the Mosque? The only problem with that is that the theme is the Art and Architecture of the place... does this type of shot play to that brief? I'm still not sure...















So I started on the different tack... I decided to look at the details of the place - looked at the exquisite mosaics on the pillars of mother of pearl, amethyst, lapis lazuli and agate and try to create a blend of colours -

But the problem here, is that instead of showing the delightful detail of these inserts, the viewer can now see the imperfections - where the pieces haven't fitted exactly for example...










As you can see the pearl doesn't fit exactly... the purpose of the competition is to show off the mosque not illustrate the short comings... so maybe this isn't the way to go either...

so we are back to square one...

I sort of like the candids of people - after all that is more my style than the super-composed, meticulously created landscape type of image that fills the web; but on the other hand, it is a pretty conservative society out here and they may well be looking for more of the same when it comes to showing off their gorgeous mosque...


I like the candid approach...


But maybe the traditional is more likely to get somewhere...




...maybe monochrome...




I'm still in a quandary about this, but have some time to decide - of course anyone out there who reads this can chip in with comments - either here or HERE - the latter will also have new images everyday if you are interested...

In addition to this it has been a bit slow for Alex JP Scott Photography - several jobs in the pipeline but as yet no firm bookings - possibly a wedding next Friday BUT the bride hasn't made up her mind about anything yet - methinks she is leaving it a bit late... In addition some staff portraits and a commercial building shoot are also out there somewhere, just waiting for the call on those... (hello?)

Keep an eye open for news and hopefully I will see you next week - let me know what you think of the competition photographs..

TTFN

















No comments:

Post a Comment