Friday 26 April 2013

Listen, do you want to know a secret...

News, breaking news!!! Yes, that's right, today I have to announce that from July 2013 Alex JP Scott Photography will be moving back to the United Kingdom. Our stay in Abu Dhabi is drawing to a close so Blighty here we come...

The reason is this - my beautiful, clever wife has been offered a great job in Cambridge and it seemed the right time for us to take this step. Come the end of term, we shall be packing up and moving out... Now all I have to do is sort out the logistics of packing and moving our gear back - forget all the the clothes, books and toys, the real problem is going to be how to get all my camera gear back safely... The restrictions on cabin luggage mean most of it will have to go into the hold but with bags like this...
Not to mention two camera bodies, numerous lenses, speedlights, two laptops etc. ensuring it comes through the journey unscathed will tax my mind for the next two months.  I also have to think how I can physically move this gear easily through airport departure and arrival gates... answers on a postcard...







So, after last weeks trawl through the archives I can start to plan the subjects for my lenses back home... Of course I shall miss photography out here - I am starting to build up a client base and work, although irregular is becoming more reliable and I have to say the contracts out here have been enjoyable and creatively testing... Do you remember some of these?



The pictures taken for the school to illustrate certain subjects - here are Business Studies, Music, Geography and History. This was a great commission - testing the imagination as I was asked to be contemporary and different from the usual images - client was happy and so was I...

In addition to these I have also enjoyed shooting the new cultures out here and during the next few weeks, this blog will feature my favourite shots from the past year... Stay tuned...

Well, what can I look forward to in the UK? Well slightly more approachable wildlife for a start!!! And a return to some proper Natural History observations...  My favourite subjects are plants and insects which are tricky to find out here. Before we came out here I used to delight in taking shots like these...

Demoiselle...


Common blue butterfly...


Forget-me-not...

Hopefully I can find many locations near Cambridge where I can find suitable subjects like these again... (I don't think I will be disappointed...)








I am still learning how to shoot macro wildlife out here - my most successful attempts were this week -

 One of my favourite subjects at the moment - I love this feathery grass...

Both of these taken with mu trusty Nikon D2Xs + Nikkor 60mm f2.8 AFD macro lens. Hand held...

A bit of fortune with the fly, but I love the back-lighting...









The week has been interesting apart from the news of our impending departure... Some new bookings have come in - a Primary School Year 6 Prom in June, some promotional shots for a new hotel in Abu Dhabi and a school prospectus.

On top of that I am still thinking about the Mosque Photography competition with the deadline in mid May.  I have now decided on an approach which is different to the majority of shots out there - you will have to wait to see what I come up with. Even if I don't get any where, the whole process of entering this competition has been really enjoyable and will help in further commissions and competitions.

I also have a tutorial to prepare for - my star pupil is approaching the end of this sequence - this Tuesday is the last one - however, she has indicated she may want a further course - I await her decision with breath suitable baited...

So UK, here we come - 2 months and counting - daily news can be found HERE so don't be shy in paying me a visit...

Hope you have enjoyed this weeks blog - wish us luck back in the home country...

TTFN











No comments:

Post a Comment