Friday 24 May 2013

Nightswimming, deserves a quiet night...

It started off busy - first of all, I had a meeting and shoot on Sunday with local journalist Nick Leech. He is documenting the older buildings in Abu Dhabi, particularly the ones scheduled for demolition. I just record them for him - I think there will be a definitive work on these architectural curios later on this year (?). When you start to look around the city, especially with someone who really sees things, eyes start to be opened... it is fascinating to see just how the building styles have changed in 40-odd years...


An old building with workers looking for a job...

One of the old, single story houses, standing in the shadow of the more modern glass-fronted towers...

One of the sites we visited was an old military camp - all that remains is the entrance arch, beyond lies open, bare ground, complete with rolls of razor wire...


A good shoot with good company - hopefully some more to come...

So on Monday, I had part two of the Arabian Swim Academy promotional shoot. This one took place at Al Muna Primary School in the heart of Abu Dhabi. Now the funny thing was, when I walked into the school I could have sworn I had been there before - the layout, decor, everything looked so familiar. It suddenly dawned on me that I had been to an identical school at a different location... (yawn)

Now this shoot was a bit more tricky than part one at the Westin Hotel as it was under large sun shades - great for keeping the Arab Sun off delicate skin, but not so good when it comes to photography - I hope the client likes the images... a small selection...





Above - one of my personal favourites - taken with a Nikon D2Xs + Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 AFD ED lens - this lens is just so sharp...


...and another favourite - this time with a Nikkor 85mm f1.8 G AF-S - fast becoming my go to lens for portraits... lovely bokeh.


 
Other shots can be seen on the clients' site - here Arabian Swim Academy.

The day after this I had a tutorial booked, that was unfortunately cut short as my student had to tend to her sick little girl - hope she gets better soon... This of course gave me time to edit the 600 or so shots from the swim academy shoot and to start getting to know Light Room 4 - a photo organising and processing programme that works nicely alongside Photoshop CS6. Having played with it for a few days and watched several tutorials on line I am getting used to it. It is a great programme and makes this sort of thing easy...


This is a black and white conversion with an infra red filter... I just love the glow...


This, on the other hand has an old film feel to it - almost sepia but the blue of the floats and the pink on the lane markers gives it a great antique feel...

Now we have a guest next week - a much loved family friend and Quinn's Godmother; so more tourist duties for me - maybe some shots will get into the blog next week... I also have a hotel shoot in Dubai fast approaching - just awaiting confirmation on that. In addition we have to find somewhere to live in Cambridge
 - the house we thought we had found has fallen through so we are back to square one...

Finally, the Mosque Photo Competition finally ended this week, although the date was extended as they had computer problems - so let's hope my images haven't been lost...

Oh yes, I was posting some older shots - so here is a selection from Sharjah...


A rocket launcher set amongst the art galleries and museums...

  A street view...

Interior of the brilliant Sharjah Museum of Arabic Civilisation...




















Hope you all have a good week - keep tuned HERE for daily updates and I shall see you all next week I hope...

TTFN















No comments:

Post a Comment