Friday 10 May 2013

Sweet, sweet, memories are made of this...

Yeah, I know it's corny but I was looking for another "memory" based title this week as I am wandering down memory lane (sigh) again with some more shots taken whilst we have been here... only a month and a bit to go...

As I write this I am suffering from a cold - not the usual sniffy, coughy sort of affair but the one where all your bones ache and every nerve ending feels like it is at the surface. Don't worry though, I won't be a man about it and take to my bed - it's Girl Flu that I have - I soldier on and make sure everyone knows about it as I infect those around me...

So, what have I been doing this week? Well I had a shoot planned last Sunday but it had to be postponed due to my son having the thing I have now... That also prevented me from doing anything on Monday - the day I had earmarked for another Mosque shoot for the competition (more of that later); Tuesday I made it to the Mosque and on Wednesday I had a tutorial at the Royal Stables with my star pupil. She has been yearning for a new camera for a while and had planned to buy one later this year. Fortunately her husband came up trumps and surprised her with the one she wanted on her birthday!! How do you get spouses like that??! So the trip to the Stables was spent discussing that, potential new lenses and bags as well as shooting a few frames.  Only took a few there, my favourite being...


According to some friends on Facebook, it's a Canna... Love the contrast and bright colours. So after that was a quiet Thursday and back to today... Blog day.

Looking back on the year there have been many fascinating places we have visited - none more so that Dubai - that mad, OTT city that screams decadence at you as you drive through the high rise blocks lining the main highway...


But our favourite bit is the creek around Deira where the abras (small water taxis) move visitors and locals over the water...


Unlike many places out here - it feels like another country...


This shot makes me think of Venice...


And finally this one - abras weave their way around the jetties...

Beyond all this is the gold souk and the spice souk - a miscellany of small retail units plying their wares, accosting people in the street and generally trying to make a living. It is fascinating and if you ever come here it is well worth the visit...


The Spice Merchant...

Well, the nostalgia aside, but I hope you enjoyed the selected views of Dubai - next week we may be visiting another Emirate in the UAE...

So, how did the trip to the mosque go? Well I had developed an idea for some interior shots using a wide angle lens (Nikkor 20-35mm f2.8 AFD) and lying under a great chandelier placed in the entrance porch - there are others in the Mosque but this one has the best light... I had envisaged this glorious mass of colour and light... But the best laid plans etc. when I arrived, I found that this chandelier was covered in scaffolding... Oh well. So I shot some interiors but have decided to submit exteriors as they have the most impact... You have seen some of them, here is my favourite from this week...


Taken across the inner court from a low angle with a Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AFD lens. The Nikon D2Xs has handled the contrast really well - can't fail to be impressed with the meter and the colours that come out of this camera...  I have the 6 shots needed, the submission date is 16th May so wish me luck in that folks, I don't think I have a chance of winning but the process of entering has been fun and educational...

During the rest of the week, I wasted some time shooting my gear for insurance purposes - always fun to get all your gear together... my favourite image from that shoot is this...


Taken using my wife's Nikon D50 with the standard zoom on the front - Nikkor 18-55 f3.5-5.6 G AF-S - great camera...

This is my day kit - what I carry all the time in my lovely canvas Billingham - the consists of:
Nikon D2Xs plus the following lenses - Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AFD; Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AFD; Nikkor 85mm f1.8 G AF-S and the Nikon speedlight SB-700...

Hope you all have enjoyed today's ramblings - I have a shoot booked for Sunday and a tutorial booked for Tuesday.  I shall leave you with something that happened to me this week - I was walking around the Mosque in Abu Dhabi, having an email conversation with a client in Australia, about a shoot in Dubai, for which he needed my UK bank details so their American bank could pay me... Don't you just love modern business...?

Stay up to date HERE about all the weekly goings on and I hope to see you next week...

TTFN











No comments:

Post a Comment