Sunday 1 February 2015

100...

Hang out the flags...this is my one hundredth blog...! So far it has received over 12600 hits - I hope it continues and I hope you all enjoy my pictures and ramblings...it isn't a chore to do...I love taking pictures and aim to shoot every day (sometimes the weather is against me on that) but generally I manage it. I was going to mark this issue with a look back at the past ninety-nine blogs, but they are all there for you to see should you so wish (just look at the links down the right hand side...) and I do have some new images to share with you this week...

I also have part two of my introduction to my gear, so let's crack on shall we...


So...Part 2 of my section on gear concerns my standard zoom - the lens that covers the mid range of focal lengths if you like...the Nikkor 35-70mm f2.8 AFD




As with the lens last week, this lens is an old model...even older than the 20-35 being in production from 1987 - 1992. The technical stuff can be found here... This lens is built like a tank...all metal construction and beautifully engineered (I have no signs of zoom creep on my version and I know many other photographers who don't either, even on a lens this old). Image quality is excellent; it is a brilliant lens and once again it is worth looking at especially if budget is an issue - now you can find near perfect examples at under UK£200 which for a pro quality lens with great optics is a bargain (the current mid range pro zoom by Nikon the 24-70mm f2.8 G AFS ED is about £1300). For everyday shooting this lens is a must and I always carry it. In addition, it makes a great portrait lens - I used it for a recent portrait session I did at a local school - perfect for framing and razor sharp; contrast is excellent as is colour rendition...To cap it all there is a useful close focus feature allowing me to shoot some detail shots if needed. It compliments the 20-35 and with next weeks lens (the 80-200mm f2.8) forms the three kings of the mid 1990's. The "three kings" refers to the three professional zooms that between them cover wide angle to moderate telephoto focal lengths at a fast, constant f2.8 maximum aperture - the mark of a pro's bag - these days thanks to new technology the range has altered but the need is still the same...Most of you out there with a DSLR will need or already have a standard zoom...if you are looking for one and have a Nikon...this could be the way to go... Join me next week for the third of my most often used lenses - the 80-200mm f2.8 AFD ED...

Now, what have I managed to shoot this week? Well I have had some decent weather...so...






yes...I went back to the boat house...




really enjoying this location...great skies reflected in the reservoir...




















a visit to a local graveyard yielded my first flowering plants of the year - snowdrops...





...winter aconites...








and winter heliotrope...




At the beginning of the month I set myself the target of regular submissions to Dreamstime and I am pleased to say I have managed that... with the majority successful...I hope I can keep this up throughout the year...

As you maybe aware I regularly update my Flickr page.. and of course my Facebook page... so if you can access either of these you can check on my progress...


On Thursday morning I took advantage of a sunny morning and nipped into Ely...






Ely Porta...built between 1396 and 1417 and was once the main entrance to the Monastery... now part of Kings School






garden hellebore...just can't resist these (probably because they are flowering when little else is!)...





...and I'm not sure what this is...a garden shrub with some delightful blossom (answers via a message...)

I was intrigued for a short while by this bridge...don't know why...must have been the light...




I still kinda like the shapes...also this preset is one of my favourites...

On Friday I spent the morning at Wicken Fen National Nature Reserve...shooting some wildlife images for the agency and meeting with a mate to discuss an idea...this could be an exciting project for this year and beyond...I shall let you know all about it when it is finalised either way!!! Watch this space...

Some of the pictures from that session...




moss, bark and ice...




oak leaves...




winter robin...


And that about sums up the week...I hope you all have a great week (one that takes me closer to being 50)... peace to you all...

TTFN






No comments:

Post a Comment