Thursday 27 June 2013

And now, the end is near...

Well, my last blog from the sunny hotness that is the Arabian Gulf. As I type this on my laptop, the sun is going down and the temperature is still hovering around 40C. Wimbledon is playing on the BBC so presumably it is summer in Blighty. My son, Quinn is currently dressed as Captain America...



and is creating many new battles with dinosaurs and a small raccoon... Today was his last day at school - well this school, so a new adventure begins for us all in Cambridge, UK from next week; nope we still haven't found anywhere to live and consequently no school for Quinn... The major problem this week was finding out that Turkish Air only allow 20kg per bag rather than the usual 30kg. This means that between the 3 of us we have lost the equivalent of a bag's worth of gear... So many things (mainly books) have been given to friends over the past few days and I would imagine many more to come...as for the camera gear... don't ask...

Well, because of the packing, sorting etc I have done very little photography during the week. Still playing with Lightroom mind and revisiting old shots etc. Last night I made a slideshow for Lucy to use at work - the first time I have use Lr for this...


The process works really well and I can see me using it a great deal in the future... The same applies to the book feature... more of that in a later edition of the blog.

New pictures I have taken include some in central Abu Dhabi - street views and a small park on 4th Street...

A view down the backstreets to the new World Trade Centre building...



Fountain in a park, with typical buildings behind...



Entrance to the park, resplendent with oversize, stainless steel coffee pots...




Reflections on the base of the coffee pots. All pictures in this sequence taken using a Nikon D2Xs + Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AFD lens. Post processing in Lightroom 4.4 (apparently Lightroom 5 is out now...hummm...)

I was looking at the images I took last year and found some shots taken during the National Day celebrations last December...


Street performers bedecked in UAE flags...




 

And after the sun went down - fireworks. Interestingly, this was the first time I had photographed fireworks and although I encouraged the wrath of family and passers by, setting it up in the midst of all the revelers was worth it - I was happy with the outcome... The trick is to lock the shutter open and remove the lens cap for several bursts before finishing the exposure...

Finally, I do have a booking for Saturday morning - just a family portrait shoot but I'm really looking forward  to that. Early start to avoid the heat and get some decent light - so 7am on the beach... I hope they remember!!

My TWITTER account reached 1000 followers today (currently at 1013) so feel free to keep up with me on that if you tweet...

So that's goodbye from Abu Dhabi and the United Arab Emirates... I hope you have enjoyed these weekly ramblings with assorted pictures, join me again next week from the UK - I expect next weeks' to be from Scarborough and then after that... who knows...

Face Book will be sporadic so bear with me on that...

TTFN from the heat...




No comments:

Post a Comment