Friday 5 July 2013

There's no place like...

Back home, they'll be thinking about us... Yep, Alex JP Scott Photography has moved back the UK, although at no fixed abode until a place in Cambridge can be sorted out. We arrived back from Arabia on Wednesday after a hot and tiring flight back via Istanbul... Fortunately nothing was damaged, lost of broken and whilst Quinn was up and around at 5 o'clock this morning the rest of us are recovering our wits and energies.

Hopefully, I can get out and shoot some images sometime today - just so you have something to look at apart from my early morning ramblings...

First day and the view from my desk looks like this...


 None too shabby, the view from my parents dining room and a welcome change to sand! Actually, it's the light that I missed and the green.  I went out for an hour last night to take some shots and was happily shooting away at 9:45pm - that lovely low sun - golden time. Something they can't buy in the Gulf...


 Kids crab-fishing by the lighthouse. All I took out was my Nikon D2Xs coupled with my trusty Nikkor 35-70mm f2.8 AFD lens. The thing I have to be aware of is having to shoot at higher ISO values here. In the UAE there was so much light I could shoot at ISO 125 all the time; last night I was up to 320 in order to get decent shutter speed/aperture values. The only draw back of my D2Xs - not very good when it comes to noise... Still, mustn't blame my tools.

The light was also doing some cool things to an old crane...


I love the light on this support pillar. A vignette concentrates the eye and high contrast gives an industrial feel...


Really taken with the shadow and the monochrome feel to this...


 This is my favourite from the harbour last night... contrasting colours and strong shapes...

During the day, shopping was done and a new phone SIM was acquired - so I have a new phone number - 07806889453 so if you have my mobile number you can change it...

So, what else did I see through my lens yesterday? Well there was this...


View across the beach with a party of school children playing in the foreground. I think this one was with my Nikkor 20-35mm f2.8 AFD - still my favourite go to lens for everyday photojournalism shooting.

Then there was this...


 and this...


 and this...


 It seems my signature style is evolving into this type of shot - muted colours, high contrast. It doesn't always work, but I am drawn to it most of the time... what do you guys think?

I was at it again last night on the way down to the harbour...


I love this shot - taken 20 yards from my parents' house on the Esplanade... Nikon D2Xs + Nikkor 35mm f2.8 AFD - post processed in Lightroom 4 using my own preset.... Picture of the week (I shall post a feature image each week...). I like the slope of the path and the angle of the bench - contrasts well with the level horizon, and once again the muted colours. I wonder what she is saying to him?


 I also saw this - obviously someone had been having a picnic and discarded the glass - I loved the colour against the sand (see, I can't avoid sand)...

So, that about wraps it up for this week - great to be back, great to see green trees and grass; great to be able to walk around without getting hot; great to hear the cry of gulls and the dawn chorus. Great to be back in Blighty...


 Check out next week to see how we get on finding a house - you can also follow me on FACEBOOK or
TWITTER if you like. I also intend to finally update my website... see you all next week...

TTFN





No comments:

Post a Comment