Saturday 12 October 2013

behold... the eye of the fish...

And so Autumn arrives... chilly nights, some sunny days but mainly cloud and some rain... Yep, we left the sunny Gulf for this and I don't regret it one bit. It is great to feel the seasons changing around me... waiting for the winter migrant birds to arrive, watching for the colours in the hedgerows to change... waiting for the first frost.  UK seasons - you can't beat them.

The week started OK - I finally got round to shooting my pack-shot... this is an image for the portfolio that basically shows prospective clients that I can set up a product shot, light it and produce an image that could be used to sell that product.  I chose (wait for it) a cooking block from a well known superstore...


... yeah I know it isn't very rock 'n' roll and a million miles from the Robert Capa stuff I dreamed of doing 20 plus years ago but hey... This was taken in my kitchen using my trusty Nikon D2Xs with a Nikkor 85mm f1.8 AF-S lens. Setting this to the largest aperture I was able to get the nice creamy bokeh which helps to isolate the subject. Lighting was by 2 separate speedlights placed on either side of the subject and shot though white umbrellas. These lights were controlled remotely by a third speedlight mounted on the camera. I quite like the result and it makes a decent addition to the portfolio.

Following on from this I had to prepare for the shoot I had booked on Thursday. I had decided to rent a lens for this job - a Nikkor 10.5mm AF fisheye to be precise.  The reason I chose this was basically because I wanted to give some of the pictures a different feel, a bit of pizzazz as it were. The lens arrived on Tuesday and I took it to the Mill to give it a go...




 
As you can see, the extreme wide angle give dynamic images... images that zing... I love the effect and when there is a good sky... well the last one in this group has impact...  The final shot here has been adjusted to lose the curve, just to give a really wide view...
Incidently, I hired the lens from Lenses For Hire and can recommend them should any of you need a lens for a one off...

So, the shoot came and went and was really enjoyable... Can't post any pictures as yet as the client needs to see them first but the staff and members of the club were helpful and the time spent there was productive. 300 or shots were taken and we have 50 odd to submit for approval, which is a pretty good return, w usually work on a 10% return so I am in credit here...:)

A future project is to shoot some film... again... I have dusted off a lovely old Nikon FE film camera that has been sat in a bag for several years, found some batteries (hearing aid types and he won't need them), slipped on a 50mm lens and loaded some Pro B&W film... It feels like the 1980's again and I can't wait to see what the results will be when I get out and about. I have to remember that every shot costs money so there is no scope for shooting and hoping... I hope I get a decent return... 10%? 3.6 usable images from a 36-Exp film... Ha! Ha!

Finally, I took some plant shots in our garden... basically because we have a lovely mix of arable weeds coming up in the drive... I can't face digging them up so have had joy in watching them grow.  In addition we have a lovely honeysuckle still in bloom...


Petty spurge - Euphorbia peplus


Honeysuckle in bloom...

Both shots taken with Nikon D2Xs + Nikkor 60mm f2.8 AFD...

So that about wraps it up... adverts need to be written this week and more promotions done... Christmas is coming as is my Wedding Anniversary... Keep up with me HEREHERE or check out my WEBSITE. I hope to see you all next week with maybe some shots from the shoot this week...

In the mean time

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment