Saturday 16 November 2013

I know they'd never match my sweet imagination...

As you may have noticed last weeks blog was all about colour... the colour of autumn. What could I do this week? Well after some deliberation I set myself the task of repeating the walk around Wicken Fen and the village and seeing if I could take some monochrome images... Believe me wandering around when all you can see are bright, autumnal colours trying to shoot tones is hard... "Ignore the leaves and the sky..." Anyone who recognises the title of this weeks blog will know the line that follows...

So, what did I manage to see...

Well, first was this...


The Old Forge in Wicken... I have always admired this house for its rural setting and ramshackle appearance... it lends itself to an old fashioned image...

Then came this...


A more modern house further down the road. I like the (almost) symmetry about this and the direct lighting.. The more I look at this shot, the more I like it...

So, finally I ended up wandering around Wicken Fen NNR... The sunlight was harsh, but at this time of year it was more photo friendly than in the summer... In between bird watching, I found the following...


Wind pump...


small pond...


birch against a blue sky...


grazing fen...


wet grassland...

I then started to look for more detailed shots... and found...


the timelessness of this scene plus the tone I added give this a historic feel... could have been taken any time in the last 100 years or so...


Whereas the gate... I like gates... they add mystery to a scene and encourage people to walk over, lean on them and see what is beyond... they create a barrier... one to be gazed over...

I also like trees... winter trees...


This one has had an infrared preset applied to give it an ethereal feel...

and I like Phragmites seed heads...


almost feather-like as they dance in the wind...

So, what else happened this week? Well it started with the Armistice Parade on Remembrance Sunday. I went along to the one in my village and captured some moments...




I think monochrome helps focus on the image... but sometimes colour works as well...



one wonders if this is an ancestor...

After this the week passed as quickly as ever... I held a tutorial on Wednesday with a private client... that went well and I feel the others we have booked will be equally so.

I had an enquiry for a portrait shoot next week, which I'm confident will happen, so things are looking up for Alex JP Scott Photography.  I also have a shoot on Sunday, and possibly another some other time this weekend although that hasn't been confirmed as yet...

With the festive season approaching I am about to start a promotions campaign for family portraits - they make great presents and can be emailed anywhere to loved ones who cannot be there at Christmas... A great present...

Updates in THE USUAL PLACE...

Finally, my Facebook page is on 499 likes... who wants to be number 500?

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment