Saturday 30 November 2013

Feel like I'm hanging from a cloud...

Hi guys, it is with a bad cold that I greet you this week... sniff, cough etc. It's been hanging around all week and bringing me down; that and the persistent low cloud that always seemed to be around any time I had time to get out with my trusty D2Xs... I have managed to take a few shots and that time spent in the office have resulted in a new process I have been applying to selected images. It isn't to everyone's taste; but in some circumstances it works a treat... when we get there let me know what you think...

So, what has been going on? Well I gave a tutorial to my client which was fruitful and I hope useful for him. I enjoy talking about the processes of photography which hopefully comes over in our sessions. Speaking of tutorials, whilst I was living in the UAE, I gave two courses to a young lady who wanted to turn pro... I mentioned her a few times I believe. Well finally, FINALLY she has come out of the closet and declared herself a Pro! Step forward Vicky Akbik of Abu Dhabi... She had her first shoot the other day and from what I gather it went really well - plus she has at least one more shoot booked as we speak. She has a great eye for children and family portraiture... if you live out that way and need a photographer, look her up...

I also had a portrait shoot this week... two writers needed some images for promotional purposes; that went well I feel so we shall see what the client thinks before publishing any images...

The images I have been shooting have been seasonally based... autumn going on winter sort of thing and maximising the last afternoon sun...


Tree walk in a park in Ely...


I really like the light on this one... same park in Ely...


A pupil from King's School, Ely, meanders his way back to class...

Whilst out in the town I saw a fellow photographer capturing images of swans on the river. I had an idea for a shot and so went along the next day having seen a forecast promising some sun... Fortunately the swans were there as was the sun...


I wanted the light like this as I figured the new style of processing would suit this image....

You see, I have been experimenting in Lightroom and come up with this effect... all the images above have had it applied... it gives the dreamy quality to the images, halos of light, soft, downy impacts... I really like it... what do you guys think?

A couple more from today...


Monk's Lode, Wicken Fen National Nature Reserve


A black highland cattle, grazing baker's Fen, part of Wicken Fen National Nature Reserve.

It is an acquired taste, but at the moment I am enjoying it... I wonder how it will affect Christmas lights? Now there is a challenge for next time perhaps...

On a different style all together I saw this whilst out and about in Ely...


I love shots like this and the square format really suits the image... Oh to go back to the days of a Rolleichord and 120 film... sigh..

And another street candid from my shoot down by the river... not sure which I prefer... colour or monochrome... what do you guys think?



Again, the square format really suits the subject...

So, it is now moving in to December... and that means Christmas... There is no escaping mammon from now on... but remember just be good to each other as well... I shall be shooting festive based images I expect and posting them here and of course here... so keep checking in for regular updates etc...

Let's hope for some snow or ice to make the season to be jolly... jolly...

I shall see you all next week... take care in the cold... and keep an eye on those who need it... in the cold it can be miserable for many... remember what Gandhi said... If you want others to feel good practice compassion; if you want to feel good, practice compassion.

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment