Saturday 11 January 2014

A New Dawn...

Half way through January... supposedly the most depressing time of the year... Is it? I'm not so sure, although being a photographer of Natural History and all things outdoors, when you stare at the persistent drizzle and low cloud for a fifth consecutive day you could come to believe it... But then, when the sun does come out and I can get out on the Fen and see this...


or this...


or this...


it can all seem worth while...

Whilst waiting for the clouds to break I had some fun in the home studio with some bought roses... Natural light from big windows helped...



...and although the results are OK, there is never the same buzz from photographing them as I get from getting dirty knees outside... Studio work is comfortable and warm. I can get a coffee whenever I like, download the images, check them and then shoot some more if necessary; lighting is more controllable and consistent.

Yet shooting in the filed has a frisson about it... what will I find (if anything); will it be well lit? will it be accessible? You just never know. Yesterday for instance I went out looking for alder (Alnus glutinosa) catkins having seen they were appearing. Alder is a common tree around the Fen so I figured it would be straight forward... Was it? No. Saw plenty but none within reach of the camera... too high up, or behind a thorn hedge; or across a dyke... So I will have to try a different part of the reserve maybe later today to see if any are available...

Last weekend I managed to get out and about around Scarborough and Filey - finishing off the Christmas and New Year celebrations. The weather was kind and I captured the following in Scarborough...



Lone walkers on a sun-rise beach...



Turnstone (Arenaria interpres) - a small wading bird that is becoming a common visitor to car parks on the coast...seems they like chips...



...and these from Filey...


Mud cliffs laid down on sandstone and limestone - result is Filey Brigg... fast eroding promontory...


Oystercatcher (Ostralegus haematopus)



That sort of wraps it for this week... As the year moves on, more and more subjects will appear... to say I am counting the days would be an understatement.. roll on spring... roll on wild flowers, dragonflies, butterflies, invertebrates in general... but I suppose what we need first is some snow? Any out there? I'm waiting for that...

So, for those of you who follow my daily posts on FACEBOOK will see a new feature - PICTURE OF THE DAY - which is promoted at the top... bigger than the other posts. It is either one I have taken recently or one from the archives... Keep a look out for that...

Have a good week and I shall see you next time...

TTFN...





No comments:

Post a Comment