Sunday 5 January 2014

On the morning from a Bogart movie...

The first blog of 2014 - what can it be all about you wonder? Well I thought I would do a recap of the previous 12 months... - many big decisions made and changes to lifestyle etc plus a momentous decision regarding the subjects I intend to shoot. A tale of contracts won, contracts lost and contracts I had to decline... 2013... what were you like?

The year started off with us still living in Abu Dhabi... the weather in January is perfect and photo opportunities do present themselves...






Always a great source of photographs...wherever you are in the UAE...







Bold colours and strong shapes...hallmarks of shooting in the Middle East...

I also was shooting commercially for several organisations...




I also received a commission to shoot the exterior of the Novotel, Dubai for an advertising campaign, however I had to walk away from this as the building wasn't ready before we were due to fly home... shame that, as it would have been a nice job to do...

Come July, we headed back to dear old Blighty... looking for a place to stay and the realisation that all the work I had done in the UAE building reputations and making contacts would have to be done all over again... back to the beginning...

I did a small job for some friends who have a B&B in Yorkshire...




... and also did some house sitting in a lovely, old farmhouse, also in Yorkshire...



Which enabled me to reacquaint myself with UK Natural History...

We now live in the Fens, near Cambridge in a house that backs onto Wicken Fen National Nature Reserve...




... and of course, an inspirational holiday in Scotland (despite the long drive...)



With these pictures fresh on my screen, I made the decision to predominantly shoot Images of the Natural World - it is my passion after all... I also decided to change the presentation of my images...


with a white border and my company name across the bottom... an artistic variable here is the font colour, chosen from the image itself...
It makes the images look more professional and complete...

Well, that was 2013... a variety of images that have become more and more biased towards the Natural World... I intend this trend to continue as we head into 2014. That doesn't mean I won't shoot anything else and I will still pursue commissions for portraits, weddings, advertising and promotions etc., and I will also continue to hold tutorials; but the Natural World is my life and has been for many years... photographing it is just an extension of me...

Stay tuned to the daily happenings on my Facebook Page and if you want to, give me a LIKE... These blogs will continue as they began on a weekly basis... comments always welcome whether you like them or not...

I hope 2014 is kind to you out there...

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment