Saturday 8 February 2014

As one door opens...

Hard not to mention it and in comparison with those in Cornwall and Somerset we have had it easy, but the weather (for an outdoor photographer) has been just appalling this week... hardly an hour to get out... The upshot of that was that I had to spend the week sorting images for websites (new) - (more of that later) and of course submissions...What has been the result? Well, I sent off 70 images to a calendar firm - and they have accepted them!!! This means, of course that when they are used I get paid.... A selection of these images...


Museum gardens, York... in the spring...




York Minster...




Street scene, York in winter




Wicken flour mill...




Garden geranium detail...




Wind pump, Wicken Lode, Wicken Fen National Nature Reserve




Pubic park in autumn, Ely Cambridgeshire

Those of you who follow this blog regularly will have seen most of these before - indeed it is good to have decent images in the back catalogue to turn to when climatic conditions prevent me from shooting... Now they have been accepted and I have their wants list I can concentrate on shooting what they want...some projects for the coming months...! I remember when I first set out to be a professional photographer - over 30 years ago  submitting a box of slides to a calendar firm - they came back with a letter saying "...great, can we have 75-100 at that quality per month" Now in those days we all shot film - cost was about £10 per film including processing. To get that many top quality images I would have to shoot hundreds of films at a huge personal initial outlay... I just couldn't afford to do that... Now with digital I can shoot whenever I want at no extra cost...One of the great advantages of this modern age...

Now, as I mentioned before I have also been promoting my self as a wedding/portrait photographer... the upshot is that I have been added to the RECOMMENDED SUPPLIERS LIST at The Maltings in Ely - a local Wedding Venue... To do this I had to submit a selection of images to the Manager for approval... some of those images...




The first three shots here are from the engagement shoot I did with Heather and Sam... one of the parts of my wedding packages is the Engagement or pre-wedding shoot... A chance to work with the couple on their own; get to know each other and get used to working together...










 The shot below was from the morning of the wedding... great light from the sitting room window...






The couple below, Sharyn and Tom were a delight to work with and the wedding was fun... there was only the two of them...




Below is an Egyptian couple, Emmy and Mohammed, with whom I worked in Abu Dhabi... great light below the palm trees... (love the shoes...!)



The slideshow I created was done using Lightroom and had no soundtrack due to copy write issues... what I intend to do is write and record my own guitar parts and add them to the slideshows... why do I create so much extra work I wonder?  The biggest stress is asking for approval... when you go out and create it feels part of you... when you look at the images and post process them you desperately want others to like them... always a feeling of joy when you get a like... despondency when not... To get accepted by the calendar firm and the wedding venue constitutes a good week...

Unfortunately my postings on my FACEBOOK page have suffered... that must be sorted as well during this next week... I have managed to do some updates on my FLICKR SITE...

I have two additional tasks for the following week... to update my WEBSITE and as mentioned... creating a new site purely for portraits and weddings... I have started that one, but it is a long, drawn out process so some midnight oil will be burnt... Once that is done, I will then have to change the other site...which will predominantly concentrate with the Natural History/Landscapes/Ecological images that I also shoot... slowly we are building a brand... slowly we are building a reputation... slowly we are getting there...

Well, what else have I been up to? Well, whilst trawling the archives I found some family pictures worth sharing...


Dad...


Mum...


Lucy & Quinn...


Lucy...



Quinn...


Me...

My favourites of these are the one of my Dad and the one of Lucy reading to Quinn...

That about wraps it up... hope you all have a good week and the jet stream finally moves back to where it belongs - giving the SE of the UK a break from the appalling weather they have had for seemingly ages now...  Winter Olympics and Rugby Union await me now, with some work on the website on the second screen...

TTFN








No comments:

Post a Comment