Saturday 15 March 2014

Let me take you by the hand...

And another week flies by... why is it that the older you get the faster time flies... we are now in the middle of March... seems like yesterday it was January... Still... mustn't grumble...

The week started in London... as part of my Birthday present I was treated to tickets for the David Bailey exhibition at the National Portrait Gallery. It is difficult to overestimate the importance of Bailey (and his contemporaries Duffy and Donovan) on the world of photography - particularly fashion and portrait photography... their influence is immense and can still be seen on a daily basis throughout the world in magazines and on advertising hoardings...This retrospective was fascinating and inspiring... he has taken so many iconic images and it was great to see his prints of some of the most famous images from the late 20th Century... his printing is impeccable, his presentation is perfect... whilst the subject is vital, it reinforces my belief that processing is just as important as the moment of capture...

Before going round the exhibition I had an hour or so to wander around with my trusty Nikon and see what I could see amongst the throngs in Trafalgar Square - one the most impressive piazzas in the world (IMHO)... what did my Nikkor 20-35mm f2.8 lens see?


Balustrades... outside the National Gallery




a group of tourists...


Cafe society...London style...




St Martin's in the Fields... exterior



St Martin's in the Fields... interior...



Trafalgar Square itself... with the National Gallery overlooking the fountains... a great place for people watching...





A series of people images... the last one is my favourite...

When I came out of the exhibition there was a Rally happening in the Square - for International Women's Day... so I captured some images of that...








Love the colours on all these... the Nikon D2Xs is amazing with colour... it may be old but the palette it produces are second to none...

So that was a productive day... what else would the week bring?  Well the weather on Sunday was perfect, but as it was a family day the Nikons stayed in their bags...I hoped Monday would be as good... and it was! So I trundled off to Wicken Fen to see what I could see...



Reed bunting (Emberiza schoeniclus)




The composite above is a new thing I have been working on - it enables me to show different versions of similar images...


Wren (Troglodytes troglodytes) - a long name for one of our smallest species...




Wren composite...

Flushed with this success I went back a couple of days later...


Chaffinch - female (Fringilla coelebs)



Goldfinch (Carduelis carduelis) - really happy with this sequence... love the background and the colours... not to mention the lighting...







Great tit (Parus major)... The gear I use for these shoots is... Nikon D2Xs - an old body at least 2 generations out of date but still capable of producing some great shots. With it I use my Nikkor 80-200mm f2.8 AFD ED lens, usually at 200mm end with the camera set to high speed crop. This means that coupled with the 1.5 factor of my DX sensor the 200mm end of the lens is effectively a 350mm lens. I rest the lens on a bean bag in a hide (blind) and sit and wait...

I went out again today (Friday) armed with this combination and captured these...


Blue tit (Cyanistes caeruleus)



Chaffinch - male (Fringilla coelebs)




Long-tailed tit (Aegithalos caudatus)


and to make a change from the birding scene... a muntjac deer (Muntiacus reevesi) that was also feeding nearby...

all in all a good week... really happy with the Natural History images I have been getting...but for all you insect and plant lovers out there, I have also been looking down as well as up...


blackthorn blossom...


bumblebee... (Bombus pratorum)





small tortoiseshell butterfly (Aglais urticae) in early spring sunshine...





willow...(Salix spp.)


yew flowers... (Taxus baccata)

So I hope you have enjoyed this selection - let me know what you think - always happy to receive input... keep your eye on My FACEBOOK page for daily updates or my FLICKR site for some images that may not get on to my FB page... yu just never know...

Hope to see you all next week,

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment