Monday 3 March 2014

I won't breathe the bracing air when I'm gone...

Hey folks, sorry it's late this week... went up to Scarborough to see my folks and enjoy being spoiled as it's my birthday... (well nearly) so didn't get a chance to write this until now...

It's been a good week in the life of Alex JP Scott Photography... it started off winning some work to take pictures for insurance companies - usually damaged cars etc. with claims. Now, not very exciting or creative but it's work and looks like regular work too which can only be good news. Basically I get an email with the details and if I accept the job I contact the client, make an appointment and trundle off to take 20 or so images of their damaged property... not so tricky and it keeps the money coming in... So that was a good start to the week... then an existing client booked a second series of tutorials which start tomorrow... that will also be fun... Finally I shall switch hats to my ecologist one and tell you that I am going to carry out a dragonfly survey at Wicken Fen National Nature Reserve this summer. Now this survey has been done every year for well over 100 years so has a long, unbroken chain of results to which I shall add mine. I love dragonflies and Wicken Fen is renown for it's diversity so the survey should be enjoyable just for the species I get to see...

I have managed to get some pictures taken this week (apart from damaged cars...!)...Spring is definitely coming and our garden yielded the following...


Garden hellebore...





Once I had taken the picture of the hellebore I had a play in Lightroom to see what could be done with one image... the set of four above is the result... The same image, processed differently...


Finally, red dead-nettle (Lamium purpureum) one of our many overlooked wild flowers that is delightful when looked at...

I also changed my profile picture... my very good friend and fellow photographer Victoria Akbik took some portraits of me during one of our tutorials last year in Abu Dhabi, so when I decided to change the sunglasses shot (incidently taken in Australia in 1998) I asked her if she had any I could use... she sent this one amongst others...



now I was really happy with this and the monochrome version...




Vic has a great eye so they are now my profile shots... My wife Lucy says I should use the B&W one for my photography sites as it is "more arty" so that is how it will be for a while... Thanks Vic... thanks Lu...x

Whilst down on the fen I did find some blackthorn (Prunus spinosa) blossom... another sign that spring is approaching...








Now, what else have I been taking? Well whilst in Scarborough I went out for half an hour or so, looking for spring bulbs and flowers... found these...


Croci...


more croci...


and yet more...


surprisingly there was some garden heather (Calluna vulgaris) still in flower..



and the first primroses (Primula vulgaris) - always a welcome sight towards the end of winter. Seeing as it was St David's Day on Saturday, I had to include a daffodil...



shhh... whisper it quietly... spring is nearly here...

Well, that is about it for this week... here is a final shot of my boy, Quinn... he is 5 but he looks so much older than that here...



he is however... beautiful...

Keep up with me ON FACEBOOK or ON FLICKR or LinkedIn and I hope to see you all next week...

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment