Thursday 8 August 2013

I don't want to sound complaining...

This week I am going to start with a rant... I don't always rant but today I am going to...

Now I have a smartphone like most of you I would imagine - not a very expensive one, just a middle of the road Samsung Galaxy thing, not cheap, not expensive...  And I use it as you would expect really; I don't listen to music or watch videos, but I make phone calls, send and receive texts and emails; I have Apps for the News, Sport News and Weather (BBC - excellent!), I also have Apps to help me with planning shoots - a compass, sunrise/sunset calculator, tide tables, light meter, depth of field calculator, I have a converter for length, area etc., an alarm clock, guitar tuner, plus the usual calendar, maps, notepad, voice recorder, radio etc. All in all I use it all the time for business and pleasure. It is useful... I also note that all the main phone providers claim something along the lines of 95% coverage throughout the UK... my own provider claims even better coverage as they are in partnership with another company so I get a signal no matter what. BUT... and here is the rant, I always seem to be in that 5% where I don't get a signal... the whole thing grinds to a halt because I keep managing to be in the small (is it so small?) area of England where my phone won't work... Just how accurate are the claims of 95% or am I just unlucky...? hmm....

Now, what have I been up to photographically? Well, still enjoying the garden in this lovely house... flowers, insects etc...


So the aim for the bee shots was to have the plant sharp but the bees not necessarily so - we see them more often than not as a blur in our peripheral vision...


This is my favourite...


I put a bit of a glow on this one...


I also took a fancy to the rose hips... All pictures here taken using a Nikon D2Xs + Nikkor 60mm f2.8 AFD macro lens and a 2x tele-converter. All mounted on a Manfrotto tripod + ball head...

We also had a day trip to Saltburn on Teeside, which was great fun for Quinn, who loves the place and also for me as I was able to capture a few more in the series The Great British Public on Holiday...


The wind farm makes an interesting backdrop - if the government gets its way many seaside resorts will have a similar horizon...






All pictures in this sequence taken using a Nikon D200 + the lenses Nikkor 28mm f2.8 AFD, Nikkor 50mm f1.8 AFD or Nikkor 85mm f1.8 AFS... All post processing done in Light Room...

Yesterday I managed to get up on the Yorkshire Moors - great weather and skies - allowed me to capture some landscapes...


Created in Photoshop CS6 - both panoramas are a composite of 4 images...


I also came across a lovely small moorland pool...


ferns...


and dry stone walls...


These final few are taken using the Nikon D200 + the same three primes...

All in all a fun week even though I have neglected my FACEBOOK page - hopefully from next week I will be posting again... however my WEBSITE is still there...

All the best to you guys and hope to see you next week...

TTFN


No comments:

Post a Comment