Sunday 29 December 2013

And is there honey still for tea?

So, to say it has been an eventful Christmas would be putting it mildly... It started OK when I fetched my parents from Scarborough and drove down through the storm to end all storms... After that we had a great time... Quinn really enjoyed Christmas Day and I enjoyed cooking and preparing the usual - roast turkey etc. That was fine...  The dawned Boxing Day... My Dad had a bad turn - blood pressure plummeted and the Paramedics were duly summoned - he came out of it and was OK. NHS - brilliant - whatever they say the girl on the phone and the two paramedics were superb... Whilst this was happening, my Mother was suffering from a migraine upstairs... all through Christmas Lucy had a bad cold and Quinn had a bad cough... I was becoming tired...

So we move to the next day... Friday... and a short walk to show my Mum the fen and amazingly that went OK..

Then Saturday... we went to Grantchester... home of Rupert Brooke and Jeffrey Archer...

The mill by the river at Grantchester...

The church clock standing nearly at ten to three.. (five minutes late...)...

And so to today... finally I managed to get out with my camera... FINALLY!!! The morning dawned cold and frosty and I wandered down onto Wicken Fen, just outside my back door... what did I find?

 Common reed (Phragmites australis) with early morning sun...

Sunrise amongst the reeds...

 Lesser burdock (Arctium minor) with ice...

 Grasses with frost

Cleavers (Galium aparine) seeds with frost...

It was a truly beautiful morning - all memories of rain and wind vanish on a cold, clear, frosty morning spent on a nature reserve...

In addition to species, I also looked at habitats, enhanced by the frost and early morning light...
Fenland in frost...


Monk's Lode in winter...


Washland with ice and winter sun...

Truly the highlight of the Christmas break on a personal level... However, I have been punished today as I had a flat tyre whilst out and about... Grrrrr!

What can be in store for me next I wonder... Stay tuned to This Site to keep up to date... I must say I am really enjoying shooting this sort of stuff again... wildlife is where I am at - keep your fingers crossed for 2014...

Well, that about wraps it up for this week and indeed, this year... The next blog will be in 2014 so I shall wish you all a Happy New Year, hope you all have a good party or whatever you have planned for this coming week, and hopefully I will see you all again next time.  I shall raise a glass to you all...



Don't forget to pass on this blog to whoever you feel would enjoy it...

TTFN



No comments:

Post a Comment